Monday 27 January 2014

Microsoft Surface Pro 2 Docking Setup

I know Microsoft do a Surface docking rig via the Microsoft store. But it seems to keep going unavailable and in some cases disappearing for direct order. You can check it out here for details etc. I found it was quite expensive when I was looking into having a quick system to setup a desktop environment. Especially as I have both a home and office desk and I don't want t be carrying round additional weight in the form of a docking station.

Anyhow I started to look into a home made system and I found it is relatively straight forward, you can if desired setup multiple monitors via a USB hub and monitor output cables and the built in mini display port. But as I have a 32" monitor which is quite enough screen real estate for me!

The components I decided upon to provide the most suitable and simple/cost effective option are below.
Here are some pictures



I have linked to the devices I ordered and have now used for a couple of months. So far they have worked flawlessly and it can be plugged in within a matter of seconds.

The most expensive part was the wireless keyboard and mouse. I opted for a Logitech system and it was around £22 but you can get basic wireless systems for under £15. In honesty it is worth spending a little bit more if you plan to type and work from a desk a lot.

The mini port adaptor was under £12 and works brilliantly, the quality is excellent. I use the charging pack that came with my surface pro 2 and already had a ton of audio leads so I was good to go with the above two items. The audio leads are available for under £2 so if you don't have any at the bottom of a draw or laptop bag it wont break the bank.

I also opted for a new case to carry my surface pro 2 around in, I went for this. It fits everything in nicely even with the pen attached on the side. You can even (just) fit a small wireless keyboard in the back sleeve. For £30 it is great value considering what it protects! The leather is good quality and it offers ample protection whilst in a bag etc. I highly recommend you invest in at least a good case like above.

You can see from the above my home made desk system costs under £40 even with the audio lead. My build came in at around £34! This is well under the retail value of the Microsoft docking station, even resold ones on EBay.

When I am next at my desk I will post a picture of what things look like. It is all quite tidy and once everything is in the right place, easy to connect. Simply connect the charger (if your running low), plug in the audio lead to the headphone port, connect the mini display port adaptor and connect the USB wireless dongle that came with your keyboard.

Of course during the build process you will have to connect the mini display port adaptor to your monitor cable (DVI) and the audio lead. But once connected you can leave these in place. Make sure you check your monitor supports a DVI connection. You might need a VGA adaptor instead or if your really lucky a HDMI option might be available. Either way the adaptors retail for about the same price and you can even use a DVI adaptor with a cross over VGA/DVI monitor lead. DVI leads normally have a white plug on the end whilst VGA is blue.

VGA
DVI


If you are in doubt or want to ask a question please feel free I am more than happy to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment